Why every household with a teen should read and watch 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

2:00:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Add to your Goodreads
Buy on Barnes & Noble
As you all know by know, this blog is run by both myself, Helen, the mom and Destiny, the daughter. We both pretty much read the same books and decided which one is going to type of the review, although I've been doing it a lot lately since she's been preoccupied with school and sports, tests, and college planning.

About two years ago I bought the book, 13 Reasons Why by jay Asher. I was so intrigued by the synopsis of the book. She read the book in one sitting and immediately came over to me gushing about how good it was and how this book needs to be read by every teen in every school. It peaked my interest so then I picked it up and began to read the words that this brilliant author had written on these pages.

My heart ached. My eyes were sore from the tears that had fallen from them. My heart was racing from the events that occurred. I felt the anguish. I felt the pain. I felt the raw emotion. I questioned how he came up with the idea to write such a book. I asked myself what would undo if Hannah Baker was my daughter?

Everything written goes on in schools today and we sometimes turn a blind eye to this. I know it happens in schools. It happened when I was in high school which wasn't that long ago. I graduated in 2002. I have read some negative comments on the show. I understand their reasoning behind it. However, on the other hand, can we think about how if this is spoken about then awareness is never going to raised.


Sexual assault, bullying, drugs, suicidal ideation, etc. We all have our own perception of things and our own truth. And we all have fears. Maybe we don't speak up about them because we are afraid of the next step. I was the victim of sexual assault when I was 13. I didn't tell anyone until I was in my early 20's. We all cope our own way. We all handle situations our own way. And we all fear the unknown. The next step of reality.



Moving along to the show. Destiny and I watched this show together. The show was much more intense. It was slightly different than the book and some names were changed and some characters were much more prominent than they were in the book. Which I found to work out amazingly beautiful. The representation of these characters came alive onscreen. Again the book and the show had some differences but they were both equally great.

This show opened up a dialogue with Destiny and myself. At the end of each episode, we sat there and processed what had happened and we spoke about it. We discussed the hard parts, the funny parts, the cutesy parts, and the dialogue between the characters.

Towards the middle, it began to get more intense. Which is where our conversations grew deeper, more meaningful, and had more value. The scene that was the hardest to watch would have to be the assault scenes. Being that I went through that and having her watch it and process that I went through the same, made her a bit uncomfortable. I was here to comfort her and reassure her that I am okay. I am here to talk and answer any questions.

Talking to your children about consent and suicide should be number 1 in every household. I'm glad that in my household, we are very open about that and can talk about that comfortably. I want her to know the signs in case she needs to help a friend or herself. If you have a teenager, please think about reading this book, and watching the showing. This will open up a lot of doors and will strengthen that bond. Lastly, I would like to add that I do wish that there was a warning added to the beginning of every episode because everyone reacts differently to situations. I am a survivor and reacted fine but that doesn't mean that the next survivior will react the same. 

If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault, call 1-800-656-4673 and head to www.rainn.org for more information.

If you or someone you know feels that you are in crisis and in need of someone, please call the National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255 and head to suicidepreventionlifeline.org for more information.

Thank you for visiting and commenting!