The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel Book Review!

8:35:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


The minute I read the blurb to this book, I knew I needed to read it! Thank you Blogging for Books for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was dark, dysfunctional, and captivating. The Roanoke family had dark secrets that go back generations. I could not put this book down. I read this book in one sitting. I literally did not go to sleep until 4 am. It left such an impression that I could only hope a show comes out of this book

The structure of this book was strong and steady. I loved how it was written with the then and now alternating views. It was hard to believe that this all happened in one short Summer. Amy Engel was so descriptive with her writing, it made the reader feel as if they were living in the story. 


“Roanoke girls never last long around here. In the end, we either run or we die”

I loved that the subject matter was dark and haunting. Some may have missed the point, others seemed to catch on quick. No matter what, dark haunting secrets will come out and there's something always so fascinating about them. There is no perfect family. Dysfunctional families pretty much describe all of the families across the world. Some are far worse than others as The Roanoke family proved to be one of the latter.

The characters were so beautifully and carefully developed. Engel made sure that all of these characters were perfectly imperfect and special in their own way. I was drawn to each and every single one of them. I felt empathy for them, I felt a sense of compassion. 

"Sometimes you have to pass the pain around in order to survive it."

This book was a strong book overall that had no weaknesses whatsoever. I think this is one of the best books I have read so far in 2017. I reminded me of my favorite book of 2016, The Summer That Melted Everything by Tiffany McDaniels. It's a book that's odd but catches your eye and holds it until it's finished with you.

I definitely recommend this book. If I could give this book a 10 star rating, I would. 

Thank you for visiting and commenting!