Book Review - Wrecked by Maria Padian

10:42:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

Add to your Goodreads shelf
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble

Thank you Netgalley for this copy to review. I don't even know where to begin with this book. It's a must read for all teenagers and parents. I've been active on social media about sexual assault on college campuses, what is NOT being done to protect current and potential victims, and what CAN be done to stop this. I even wrote a research paper about this for my college writing class last semester. There are a lot of issues surrounding this topic that must be addressed being that I am human and care about this subject but also because Destiny is going to college in two years and is in fear because of the sudden increase of cases being thrown out, ignored, and victim shaming.


I could go on and on about what I think needs to happen, and about those who allowed it to happen on their campuses - meaning staff and police who did nothing to make sure the victim is taken care of. For example the case of Brock Turner, who I can go on and on about. That case protected the rapist, not the victim. However, I will discuss the book instead.

Dickinson College students protest against sexual assault in 2011.
Photo Credit: NPR

Maria Padian is a fantastic writer. She brought such a real and raw subject and wrote about it! Padian did an amazing job creating such characters that are relatable, likeable, and some who are not. I loved that the narrator was the not the victim herself, yet her roommate, giving us a first look at what it's like to know or see someone who has been sexually assaulted.


We see the confusion that the victim is going through when going over the events that happened that night. All seems foggy due to excessive drinking but later on told she is not to blame. She did not give consent. You see first hand who is taking who's side. Who is in support and who is victim blaming. I won't say more because I don't want to give away too much. This book hands down should be a required read in high school. So that the students understand this important issue and the importance of consent.

Photo Credit: UpsettingRapeCulture/Tumblr

Padian's point of this story was that at the end of the day NO MEANS NO no matter the role, if any, alcohol played in the situation. This story was carefully and exceptionally articulated. Which is why it gets 4.5/5 stars. I felt one character could have been more developed and given more of a backstory. Other than that, it's a great book.

Thank you for visiting and commenting!